Friday, May 21, 2010

At the library: Falun Dafa brochure

The local library has an area where various non-profit groups leave information about their programs, which I check on just about every visit to see if I find anything of interest, and the last time I did, I found a brochure on Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) among the other materials.


The brochure promotes the Falun Dafa web site, describes the practice as being centered on truthfulness, compassion, and tolerance, and improving wellness through exercise, mediation, and character development. Sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, the brochure fails to mention that Falun Dafa is also anti-rationality, anti-science, and anti-medicine, and is based on a belief in magical cosmic energies into which practitioners can tap to develop or enhance supernatural powers and, apparently, achieve immortality.

The Falun is a rotating, intelligent mini-universe which is installed in a practioners' abdomen by an instructor, where it rotates--forever--and depending on whether it's turning clockwise or counter-clockwise, either absorb or emit energy.

The brochure shows four basic exercises that involve that magical energy in various ways: opening it in the body, enhancing it, purifying the body with it, and circulating it in the body.

Number 5 in the brochure, which I've included with this post, shows practitioners "Reinforcing Supernatural Powers." Oooh, I want to be able to walk through walls just like David Copperfield did through the Great Wall of China.

1 comment:

  1. I graduated from a top 25 university and I practice Falun Dafa.

    I encourage you to question your reaction. You already know what you don't believe.

    ReplyDelete